Monday, August 26, 2019

Cooking Classes Enhance Education



"What happened to home ec?" seems to be a question trending in society. And this isn't just a question being asked by older generations: students have asked me this question every year for the past 14 years I have been in education. While I know school finances leave very little opportunity for home ec in a school curriculum, I know it's something we should still strive to bring to our students.

I have done many things over the course of my career to share my love of cooking and baking with my students, but I never really felt like I was giving them the confidence to be able to go out and do it on their own.

This summer, the ultimate opportunity came into view. The district librarian and I were talking about ways to get the local high school students to go to the Sandusky District Library and utilize the great programs they offer. After realizing there was a stove and refrigerator in the library community room, I immediately offered my services to bring a summer cooking class to the library. The 20 spots quickly filled up and a 4-week cooking class was brought to life. Students cut and cleaned chicken, kneaded dough, practiced measuring, made grocery lists, went shopping, and did various other things without hesitation. The laughter and confidence that could be seen and heard in this room were contagious.  

I have never had a more rewarding experience in my educational career. Plus, I know that building relationships with students is key to building successful classrooms. The kids from the class are coming up to me to share their cooking experiences at home and parents are reaching out to express their gratitude for helping their child gain confidence in the kitchen. This cooking class opportunity has given me the chance to connect with future and current students and has allowed me to grow as an educator. 

One of my strongest goals in education is to create experiences for students that carry their learning beyond the classroom to life. What I have learned most through this process is, as an educator, I must get creative and think outside of the box just as I encourage my own students with their thinking. If I believe a skill is important for my students to learn, I have to find ways to get them that knowledge, even if it means cooking in a library. If you are an educator reading this, I encourage you to do the same thing. You will not be disappointed in the results. Kids deserve it!  



No comments:

Post a Comment