Saturday, November 16, 2013

Homemade Egg Rolls

My mom and I have been making egg rolls for years. She makes these for me every year for my birthday.  However, they are too good only to be made once a year, so we got together tonight and made a batch. 

1 large head of Napa Cabbage. (Resembles a mix of cabbage and lettuce)
 2 bags of bean sprouts
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
2 large chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
1 1/2-2 packages of egg roll wrappers
peanut oil for frying

Start by boiling your chicken breasts. Shred the cooked chicken with two forks. Place in a bowl. Chop the napa and place it in the bowl. I also cut the bean sprouts and carrots a little bit so they don't break through the egg roll wrapper. Mix the chicken, cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts.

Place a handful of the mixture on a egg roll wrapper. Wet three corners of the wrapper with water. 

Bring the bottom corner over half of the mixture. Then take two of the wet corners and stick it to the middle. 


It will resemble an envelope. 

Rolling from the bottom, Seal in the mixture. 


Place peanut oil in a saucepan. When the peanut oil is hot, put in the egg rolls. 

Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until they are brown and crispy. 


Line a pan with paper towels or a brown paper bag. I then use a spring form pan on the paper towels to place them upright. It is important to place them upright so the grease drains out of them. 



I top my egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce. 






No comments:

Post a Comment