Saturday, March 23, 2013

Duck Dynasty Camo Cupcakes

I volunteered to make camo cupcakes for my cousin's baby shower this weekend. (The nursery theme is camo/wilderness.) I found an idea for the cupcakes from Pinterest. http://thecraftymamablog.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/camouflage-cupcakes-tutorial/

However, when my boys found out I was making camo cupcakes, they had other ideas for the cupcakes...

I started out with a yellow cake mix and a chocolate cake mix. Mix them separately according the package directions.




I got out two more bowls. Take two scoops of both batters and mix together in the third bowl. In the fourth bowl, take two scoops of white batter, one small scoop of the chocolate batter, and 15 drops of green food coloring.

You will have four colors now: 1) Just white batter
2) Just chocolate batter
3) An equal mixture of chocolate and white batter
4) Green batter (the two scoops of white, one small scoop of chocolate, and green food coloring)



I put the batters in separate ziploc bags. Cut one of the tips from the end of the bags. Squeeze alternating colors into the cupcake liners until about 2/3 full. I made 36 cupcakes.



Bake cupcakes according to the package directions.


When cool, I frosted them. This step was a little bit of a pain, until I got a system going. I used one container of white frosting and one container of chocolate frosting.
To make the green frosting, I used a couple of scoops of the white frosting, one spoonful of the chocolate frosting, and about 12 drops of green food coloring.

I placed each of the frosting colors in a ziplock bag.

I then used a cake decorating squeeze bottle with a star tip attached. I squeezed lines of frosting from each of the three bags into the squeeze bottle. Then I ran circles around the cupcakes with the squeeze bottle.

Then the boys came up with their idea! They love to watch Duck Dynasty, so they challenged me to make "The Quack Pack".

So, I found a picture of the four guys and did the best I could to draw The Quack Pack on the cupcakes.

I used the camo frosting for Phil's bandana and Si's hat. I put brown frosting in the decorating bottle to pipe on for the hair, beards, and moustaches, For Si and Phil's beards, I ran a little white frosting through the brown.
For Jase's hat, I just used black decorating gel. I tried to make Willie's bandana look like a flag, but the blue food gel was pretty dark. I put white snowflakes I had from Christmas cookies to resemble the stars. I used red food gel and red sugar for the stripes, and more white frosting for the other stripes.
The eyes are just black food gel. The nose is a mini chocolate chip, although food gel would work for that too.



2 comments: