Monday, August 21, 2017

Solar Eclipse Party

We decided to have a little fun for the solar eclipse (even though we will only see about 80% coverage in our area). 

I went to the Dollar Tree and got all of the decorations. I covered the table with a black tablecloth and the kids covered the tablecloth with star and space stickers. I also found yellow plates at the dollar store. Also on the table is Eclipse gum, Oreos showing the moon phases, and sponges I cut into stars, moons, and suns. (The sponges and the glow in the dark paint will be used to create galaxy paintings and t-shirts) 

Also on the table is a sample of one of the crafts the kids will be making. I taped a circle to a piece of black cardstock and outlined the circle with chalk. Then, using my finger, I spread the chalk around the circle. Remove the taped circle when done. 


Another craft we will do is this...The kids will glue a yellow circle to a piece of black cardstock and decorate the sun's rays in any way they want. Then they will glue a strip of paper to a black circle and attach the moon to the sun sheet with a brass fastener. I decorated the moon circle with chalk. 


We also made some moon dough yesterday. This is just baking soda, water, a little black paint, and some glitter. We formed the dough into balls and let them dry in the sun. Today, we will make the "moon rocks" erupt by squirting vinegar on them. 

We covered all of our windows with glow in the dark shapes I found at the Dollar Tree.


For some eclipse food, I baked these brownies in a circle pan, put a mason jar lid on top of the cooled brownies and sprinkled some powdered sugar on top. Then I spread the powdered sugar around the circle. 

These are sugar cookies with chocolate frosting to show the stages of the eclipse. 
We will also be making our own little pizzas for lunch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment