Saturday, August 8, 2020

Virtual Minecraft Birthday Party

 Rachel wanted to have a small birthday party this year, but because of the pandemic, we thought it was a better idea to do a virtual party instead of a traditional party. It worked out really well. We gathered supplies for crafts, put together treat bags, and bagged up some cake and did a porch drop-off the night before her birthday. On the day of the party, we did a Zoom call and had the kids do the crafts together on the call; they sang Happy Birthday, ate cake and other treats, and did a Scavenger Hunt. 

Rachel has been doing a lot of building on Minecraft, so that was the theme she picked. It worked out really well because I could make individual block cakes for the porch drop-off. In the party packs we also included some water blocks (Jello) and sand blocks (Rice Krispie treats).  
The cake was made from brownies, Jello, Rice Krispie treats, and chocolate cake.

I put a variety of crafts into the party bags that we dropped off. We did a Creeper mask, a Creeper painting, and a torch. For the mask, I cut a piece of black posterboard into 8x8 inch squares and cut out two 1 inch square blocks for eyes. I hot glued a stick to the posterboard. I gave the kids enough 1 inch squares to fill the 8x8 inch area following a template I found online. I also took a mini canvas and divided it into 64 squares. I included Sharpies and oil pastel crayons so they could choose how they wanted to fill in their canvas. The Sharpies worked the best. For the torch, I just printed a template that I found online and added a tealight so they could put the light inside the torch. 
The bags also had slime bars (Jello), gold (Hershey nuggets), diamonds (Hershey kisses), TNT (licorice), potion of healing (Kool-aid drinks), and some Minecraft blocks that had jewels hidden inside. 

I made some treasure blocks out of 3/4 cups flour,1/4 cup salt, 1/2 cups used coffee grounds, 1/4 cup water, and 1/8 cup cornmeal. I put a small jewel on the inside of this dough. I baked them for 45 minutes at 175 degrees. 
I used these as the base to each Scavenger Hunt clue. I found 5 clues on Pinterest and printed them out. 
For another hunt, I made Minecraft boxes, taped inventory items on the boxes, and hid them around the house. The kids matched up all of their inventory to make sure they found all of the items. 

The Nether Portal was a huge hit! 
The other decorations and inventory items that I had out for snacking were a fun addition too. Most of these things were in the party bags too.



No comments:

Post a Comment