Sunday, September 29, 2013

Math Card Game for Preschoolers--War

After receiving a pack of Duck Dynasty playing cards for Trick-or-Treating last night, my 5-year-old wanted to play something right away with them. 

I remember playing the game "War" from my childhood, so this became the perfect opportunity for me to teach him how to play. Not only that, I secretly had him practice the math terms he will need to know for kindergarten! I took out the Jacks, Queens, Kings, and Aces until he got the hang of the game. We each got an equal amount of cards. We then each flipped up a card. I used the questions, Which card has fewer/more items?, Which number is higher/lower?,  etc. It was great for his number recognition as well. 
If we both flipped a card that was "equal", we got to play "War". (Both players place a card down and then another card up. The winner with the highest bottom card takes all six cards.)


No comments:

Post a Comment