Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sight Word Smashers

The kids' grandma sent me this idea from the website: http://www.123homeschool4me.com/2014/11/sight-word-smack-kids-activity.html

David thought this looked like a really fun activity, so we tried it today. 

I started by mixing equal parts of flour and water. I did 2/3 cup flour and 2/3 cup water for each color. Then I added a little bit of food gel coloring to each bowl.

I am pretty sure the next step was the kids' favorite part. They dipped cotton balls into each bowl until they were completely covered. (Make sure you have a towel handy for when they want to switch colors. It is a little messy.)  Place the dipped cottonballs onto a baking sheet covered with tin foil. 


Bake at 300 degrees for 40-45 minutes.


Let them cool. It only took about 15-20 minutes. Then I wrote David's school sight words on his smashers. For Rachel's I wrote the letters to her name. 


After he said each word correctly, he smashed it with his toy hammer. They are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Just a different way to practice site words. 


No comments:

Post a Comment