Friday, March 27, 2015

Cookies for the Movie Home

The boys' elementary school went to see the new movie Home today to wrap up their month of reading activities. I saw cookies like these on this website ( http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/make-oh-so-awesome-cookies-from-home-749023), so I decided to try our own version.

 I had leftover fondant from the calculator cake I made earlier in the week, so all I had to do was make purple sugar cookies. I started with my basic sugar cookie recipe: http://workingmomwonders.blogspot.com/2013/10/sugar-cookies.html
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

After creaming the butter, sugar, egg, sour cream, and vanilla, I added some purple food gel. If I had to do it again, I would add more color because they were a little dull in color after they baked. 

Mix all the dry ingredients together and slowly add it to the creamed mixture. Let it sit in the freezer for a couple of hours. 

When it is chilled, roll some of the dough on a lightly floured surface. I rolled them pretty thick (about 3/4 inch). Using a heart cookie cutter, I cut out the dough. Then I trimmed off the bottom of each heart. I placed a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and baked 9-10 cookies at a time at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. (Don't overbake them.) Immediately move the cookies to a cooling rack after they bake.  I got 30 large cookies from this batch. 


While the cookies were cooling, I rolled out my fondant and cut the eyes. I used regular frosting behind each eye to get them to stick. 


Then I used the blue food gel in the corner of the picture below to add some color to the eyes. 


The next step was to add some black frosting. I just use Wilton black decorating icing that comes in a tube. I attach a tip to the top of the tube. I added a dot in the middle of the eye and drew on a mouth. I then rolled some shapes from the fondant to be used as teeth. 


I colored my remaining fondant purple and placed two circle blobs on the side of the face for the ears. 






No comments:

Post a Comment