Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Teacher Birthday Cake

David's teacher always makes the kids feel so special on their birthday, so we thought it was fitting to surprise her with a little treat on her birthday. 


I started by making a batch of marshmallow fondant. 

I split up the fondant and colored equal amounts of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. I pulled a little bit of the fondant and colored it light brown (to be used as part of the colored pencil). 

I cut strips of each color of fondant and made them into a loop. I put a little rolled up piece of paper towel in each loop and placed it on its side so it could harden in the loop shape. I let the bow sit overnight. I also made some twisted pieces for the bow, but I only ended up using a couple of them.  

I made two 8 inch cakes for the bottom layer and two 6 inch cakes for the top. I covered them in regular white cake decorating frosting. It would have looked neater with fondant, but I figured it would be easier for the kids to eat with the regular frosting. 

With the remaining fondant, I rolled out each color of fondant and cut the color part of the colored pencil. Then I added a little of the brown fondant on the top of each pencil. I cut a little triangle for the tip of the pencil. The finishing touch was to add each kid's name on the pencils. I added the pencils to the cake and put a little ball of rolled fondant between each pencil. Then we added a row of colored fondant balls to the top layer of the cake. We wrote "Happy Birthday Miss Davis" on the top layer. 

Then we placed the bow on top of the cake. 



No comments:

Post a Comment