Saturday, December 14, 2013

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

This recipe is very easy and versatile. I have never made chicken and dumplings, and I knew my kids probably wouldn't like the texture of the dumplings, so I tried to adapt this recipe so it would work for the whole family. 

Ingredients: 
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
4-5 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
3-4 cups chicken broth

Paula Deen's Biscuit recipe:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoons salt
1 stick of butter, cubed
3/4 cups milk 


Place frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of a crockpot. Add onion, celery, and chicken soup. 

Pour enough chicken broth over the ingredients so the chicken is covered. 

Cook on high for about 5 hours. 
Pull the chicken breast out and shred the chicken with two forks. Place back in the crockpot. 

About an hour before serving, make the biscuit dough. In a bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a fork. 

Make a well in the flour mixture. Add the milk in the well. Using your hand, incorporate the flour mixture in with the milk. 


Take half of the dough and break it into little pieces. (I did about 30 pieces.) Drop the pieces in the crockpot. Stir and cover for about 45 more minutes. 

Meanwhile, I boiled some egg noodles on the stove. I poured some noodles in a bowl for each of the kids. When the dumplings were done, I scooped out some broth and chicken and added it to the bowls of noodles for the kids. They thought it was some of the best chicken noodle soup they have had. 


Because I only used half of the biscuit dough, I turned the other half into 6 biscuits. I rolled out the dough and used a cup to make 6 biscuits. I placed the biscuits in a greased pie plate and baked them on 425 degrees for 12 minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment