Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day Dinner

For Father's Day this year, I took a lot of ideas I found online and combined them with some of my own.

The main dish was a pizza in the shape of a ribbon that said #1 Dad in pepperoni. I had to shape out the ribbon on two pans and place them together when they came out of the oven.

 The drink was dad's choice between a "root beer float" or a "beer". I found the glass mugs at the Dollar Tree. For the beer, we filled it with butterscotch candies and marshmallows on top. The root beer float is filled with root beer candies with marshmallows on top.


The third component was dessert. For the ideas and printables, I found this website: http://www.tipjunkie.com/holiday-crafts/fathers-day/father-day-cards-printable/fast-food-fathers-day-treats-printable-fathers-day/

I printed one of the tray templates from this website. To save my color ink cartridge, I traced the template on solid color cardstock. I then put on some grilling stickers to spice up the trays a little bit.

I printed the fry containers from this website and taped them together. I got some "ketchup" holders from a local fast food restaurant.

 
For the fries, I made sugar cookie dough and rolled it out on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. (To help roll this out, I also covered it with parchment paper while rolling.) Sprinkle the dough with sugar before placing it in the oven. (This will resemble the salt that is on French fries.)  I baked the dough until just slightly browning. Let it sit on the pan for a minute when out of the oven. I used a pizza cutter to slice the dough. I then transported the "fries" to a cooling rack.

For the hamburgers, I first baked a pan of brownies. Then I baked yellow cupcakes. When the cupcakes were cooled, I cut the top off with a serrated knife. I cut out a brownie from the pan and molded it into the shape of a circle. I placed the brownie on the bottom half of a cupcake. I then put red, yellow, and green frosting on top of the brownie. The top half of the cupcake went on top of the frosting. The finishing touch was the red frosting in the ketchup container for the sugar cookie fries. Each dad at our cookout received a tray and a float or beer.

1 comment: