Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Kids' Homemade Soap

A friend shared this idea with me yesterday on Facebook (http://www.simplydesigning.net/2014/08/make-kids-soap.html). I tracked down all the supplies at Hobby Lobby today for under $15. (And there is stuff left to make more than twice as many bars of soap. (Under $1.50 per bar of soap)

Ingredients:
I bought a block of clear glycerin soap. (I used the 40% off coupon that can be found online for Hobby Lobby)
I found a soap mold for just over $2. I decided to use an oval mold. They had many others to choose from. 
Then I picked up some little animal figures. I was going to use my daughter's little Frozen princesses, but she didn't want to give them up for the soap. You could use anything that fits inside the mold to decorate the soap. 
The final ingredient was a few drops of DoTerra Essential oils for the scent. (We used lemon, lavender, and orange--in separate batches.)

Steps:
I placed some of the glycerin blocks in a microwave-safe bowl. I heated it for 40 seconds, then stirred it. I put it in for 10 second intervals until it was fully melted, stirring after every 10 seconds.
After melted, drop 6 drops of oils for every two bars of soap. Stir in the oils. 

Then pour the melted glycerin over the animals you place in the mold. 


Just make sure the animals are completely covered with the glycerin. (Place them upside down so they are face up when the soap comes out of the mold.)

Let the soap sit for about 40 minutes. I ran a butter knife around the edge of the mold and it popped right out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment