Sunday, February 8, 2015

Paw Patrol Birthday Cake with Marshmallow Fondant


For Rachel's 3rd and a 1/2 birthday, she decided on a Paw Patrol cake. So I got adventurous, after using fondant for the first time last weekend, and made this look-out tower cake. I made a cake in a 10x12 inch cake pan. I used regular cake decorating frosting ( 1 cup crisco, 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 4 Tbsp milk) for the green grass. I also used this frosting to cover the tower before I put on the fondant. 

I then made my own fondant. We all liked the taste of this fondant. 
Put one 16 oz  bag of mini marshmallows and 2 Tablespoons of water in a microwavable bowl. 
Melt in the microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring after each 30 second time frame. 
Add 1 lb of powdered sugar and stir. Grease the counter and your hands with crisco. Knead another 3 cups of powdered sugar into this mixture. (I had 1 cup left of a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar.) 
Then I split the fondant up  for the amount of colors I needed and colored each ball with food gel. 
I put crisco around the ball of colored fondant and covered it with plastic wrap. I put it in an air-tight container until I was ready to make the cake. I did put the ball in the microwave for a few seconds before I made the cake. This softened it really quickly and made it easier to work with. 

The tower is made from Rice Krispie treats. I used a whole batch of Rice Krispies for the entire tower. (3 Tbsp butter, 6 cups marshmallows, 6 cups Rice Krispies)  I molded this free-hand and then covered it with the fondant colors. If you spray your hands with cooking spray, it is very easy to mold this into the pieces that make the tower. 

Tip: The top is pretty heavy. I put a small tupperware bowl in the cake, face down. Then I set the whole tower on top of that bowl. That helped support it a lot better. 

I found the Paw Patrol figures at Target. 

No comments:

Post a Comment