Sunday, July 21, 2013

Baked Fruit Pies (Like McDonald's)

My son loves the baked apple pies from McDonald's. So...we set out to make a homemade alternative at home. He was satisfied. :) The original recipe was found at : http://momstart.com/2012/05/tasty-treat-by-summer-copycat-hostess-to-homemade-apple-fruit-pie-recipe/ .

I substituted ingredients for what I had on hand. 

Crust Recipe: 
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 egg
1 stick of butter (softened, but still cold)
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Filling:
I used apple pie filling, strawberry jam, and raspberry jam.

Put all the crust ingredients in a bowl, except the butter. Take a stick of butter from the refrigerator. Put in in the microwave on defrost for about 25 seconds. Cut it into tablespoon tabs. Place the tabs of butter in with the other ingredients. Using a fork, cut the butter into the dough. I had to mix it a little bit with my hands too. When it becomes a dough, place the ball on a floured surface. 

Roll out the dough to about 1/8" in thickness. I used a coffee cup to make circles in the dough. 


Some of my circles were still a little thick, so I just rolled them out a little more. Place about a tablespoon of filling in the middle of the circle. 

Bring the ends together and crimp them with a fork. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until brown on the bottom. 


I topped the apple pies with some caramel syrup. I also had frosting left from a cake I made: http://workingmomwonders.blogspot.com/2013/05/perfect-cupcake-frosting.html
The pies were really good with the frosting too. Powdered sugar or a mixture of cinnamon and sugar would also be very good. 


Any leftovers can be refrigerated and heated up in the microwave the next day. (They are best warmed up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment