Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sloppy Joes

I make this incredibly easy meal almost once a week. These are ingredients that I usually have on hand, and the kids love eating this meal! (And, believe me, I have picky eaters!)
 
1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
3/4 cup Open Pit Barbeque Sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/8 cup mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
 
 
 

 Brown your hamburger and drain the grease.
 Add about 3/4 cups of Open Pit. (Doesn't have to be exact.)
 Add the 1/4 cup of ketchup. (Again, doesn't have to be exact.)
 I add a couple of "squirts" from the mustard. Close to 1/8 of a cup.
 Then add about 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, along with the teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce and vinegar.
 Mix and serve.
A tip for getting your kids to eat veggies is to have a container filled with cut veggies at all times. My kids don't particularly like cooked veggies besides corn and occasionally peas, but they eat fresh cucumbers and carrots like they are going out of style. I will randomly set out the container throughout the day. You would be amazed at how many times, in passing, they stop to grab a handful. If I am extra busy (or just really tired) at night, these also become our veggie for the meal. Last night was one of nights.
Here is my ten-year-old's creation of the night. He wanted to make his sloppy joe in the shape of a shamrock with a cookie cutter. :) Since my one-year-old eats her bun chopped up anyway, I put her sloppy joe in the scraps of his bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment