Friday, January 10, 2014

Stuffed Zucchini Boats

I found a version of these in a Taste of Home magazine. I changed it to fit the ingredients I had in my pantry. They turned out really well. We all liked the filling so much, I am going to use it to stuff mushrooms as well. 

Ingredients:
2-3 large zucchini, cut lengthwise 
6-8 grape tomatoes, diced
3/4 pound ground sausage (I used the Bob Evans Sage)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

I started by scooping the insides out of the zucchini. Place the hallowed out zucchini in a microwavable bowl and cover it with paper towel. Microwave one zucchini (2 halves) at a time for 2 minutes. 

Meanwhile, cook the sausage until it is no longer pink. Add the zucchini pulp. Let that cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and basil. Spoon the mixture into the zucchini shells. 

Place the zucchini in an ungreased 9x13-in. pan. Bake at 350 degrees, covered, for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment